Our friends at the Boston Chapter of the Women’s National Book Association have lots of events, awards, and opportunities to report this month:
- Our Annual Open Meeting and Celebration of Summer Reading held in June at Newtonville Books with food from Whole Foods was a fun way to begin our summer holiday. Grace Talusan accepted our inaugural Dorothy O’Connor Award in recognition of her article Angelina Jolie (and I) Will Have Another Preventive Surgery. New WNBA-Boston Co-Chairs Lynne Byall Benson and Nancy Rubin Stuart were voted in, with Jenny staying on as third Co-Chair, and we applauded Daphne Kalotay as she goes on sabbatical after years at the helm. If you were unable to join us, you can still see photographs at www.facebook.com/WNBAboston
- Our June Meet the Agent conversation with literary agent Ann Collette was well attended. Ann talked about how she got into agenting, what she specializes in, and the book publishing business in general, including prospects for writers seeking representation. Our thanks to her for her time and expertise, and to the National Writers Union for co-sponsoring this event.
- The July Annual Planning Meeting will be held on the 14th at 5:30 PM at Panera Bread on Harvard Street in Brookline, convenient to the Coolidge Corner T stop on the Green Line. Come treat yourself to a restaurant meal while sharing your ideas for our chapter’s upcoming year!
- Our Bookclub has decided to take the summer off. The club will resume on the second Saturday in September when it will discuss The Clover Houseby Henriette Powerand also take time for brief discussion of The Art Forger and The White Tiger.For more information please contact Cynthia Biron at WNBAreads@gmail.com.
- WNBA-Boston co-chair Nancy Rubin Stuart is pleased to remind you of our reciprocal benefits program with the Cape Cod Writers Center whose annual conference runs from August 7-10 at the Resort and Conference Center in Hyannis. The conference offers 30 workshops and classes in poetry, fiction and screenwriting as well as manuscript evaluations, publicity, and mentoring with editors and agents. As a WNBA member you can register at half price for $30, rather than the $60 required for nonmembers. To see the brochure and register, please click on this link or paste it in your browser. http://capecodwriterscenter.org/2014/04/17/registration-open-for-52nd-annual-ccwc-summer-conference/
- WNBA-Boston memberships run from the first of June to the end of May. If you have not already renewed your membership, please take a moment to do so and continue taking advantage of the many benefits we offer. It’s easy to renew either online at http://www.wnbaboston.org/membership.php or by mailing a check to Women’s National Book Association, Boston Chapter, P.O. Box 230449 Astor Station, Boston, MA 02123-0449 New members who join after April 1 of one calendar year receive membership through June of the following year.
- We have an upcoming volunteer position to announce: Boston Chapter Treasurer. This is a low-key, behind-the-scenes role with no obligation to attend meetings or events; our current Treasurer, who is overdue to be replaced, will gladly show you the ropes, and people who prefer to job-share are welcome. Please consider helping out.
- We want to publicize your activities and accomplishments. Please follow us onTwitter, and direct message our @WNBABoston account if you have articles or announcements you’d like to share.
- If you have a book coming out in the next 6 months and would like to read with other authors, please email us at email@example.com, and we’ll pass along your information in the newsletter.
- If you already have a book reading planned, Karen Roach is happy to publicize the details in our monthly Literary Calendar. Please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- And remember, if you would like to be included in our list of authors available to meet or Skype with book groups, please contact Anne Ipsen through Facebook or her website: www.anneipsen.com/index.php?option=com_facileforms&Itemid=16 . www.facebook.com/Ipsen.Books
- Looking ahead, our traditional Yankee Bookswap will be held the end of September at Newtonville Books in Newton Center. For up to the minute information on this and other events, please visit our website www.WNBAboston.org or Facebook www.facebook.com/WNBAboston
Wishing you a lovely summer,
Jenny, Lynne, Nancy